Former Australia batsman Dean Jones is to take over the role of Afghanistan’s head coach on an interim basis and lead the team in their Intercontinental Cup fixture in Hong Kong later this month, the country’s cricket board has announced.Afghanistan were granted Test status in June by the International Cricket Council, putting them in an elite group of 12 sides permitted to compete in the longest form of the game.Afghanistan did not renew their contract with former India cricketer Lalchand Rajput and have been without a head coach since August.”I am pleased to announce that I will be Afghanistan interim head coach for their tour to Hong Kong,” the 56-year-old Jones said on his Twitter site.The side will play against Hong Kong from Oct. 20 in the ICC Intercontinental Cup, which is a first-class tournament played between the Associate members.The Afghanistan Cricket Board said the arrangement with Jones could be extended.”Both sides will consider a long-term coaching agreement after the tour of Hong Kong,” the board said in a statement.
Eugenie Bouchard was shocked by Elise Mertens of Belgium 6-2 6-4 in the first round of the Rogers Cup in Montreal on Tuesday. The vocal support of the home crowd was not enough to carry the local Canadian favourite through.Mertens, the 14th seed, won five break points to dispatch Bouchard, who has fallen to 129th in the world after reaching a career-high of fifth in 2014 — the year she reached the Wimbledon final.Home hopes now rest on 21-year-old Francoise Abanda, who defeated qualifier Kirsten Flipkens of Belgium 6-3 6-2.British number one Johanna Konta fired eight aces en route to a 6-7(6) 6-1 6-2 upset win over 11th-seeded Latvian Jelena Ostapenko.Konta, who handed Serena Williams the worst loss of her career at the Silicon Valley Classic last month, will face former world number one Victoria Azarenka in the second round on Wednesday.Azarenka was in complete control as she strolled to a 6-0 6-1 win over Kristina Mladenovic of France in a match that lasted less than an hour.Daria Kasatkina, seeded 12th, beat rising Greek talent Maria Sakkari 6-4 4-6 6-1 to set up her first career meeting against fellow Russian Maria Sharapova in the second round on Wednesday.Other players to advance from the first round on Tuesday included Spaniard Carla Suarez Navarro and Russian Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, who will face top-seeded Simona Halep on Wednesday.Sixth seed Caroline Garcia of France and eighth-seeded Czech Petra Kvitova advanced to the third round with wins over Slovak Magdalena Rybarikova and Estonian Anett Kontaveit.advertisement(With inputs from Reuters)
Ohio State redshirt junior forward Keita Bates-Diop (33) takes the ball down the court in the second half of the game against Rutgers on Feb. 20. Ohio State won 79-52. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo EditorAfter being named as the Big Ten Player of the Year in his final season at Ohio State, Keita Bates-Diop is off to the NBA. The former Ohio State forward was selected with the No. 48 pick in the second round of the 2018 NBA Draft by the Minnesota Timberwolves. Bates-Diop was projected by many to be an early second round pick in the draft. Bates-Diop spent four seasons with the Buckeyes, starting every game in his sophomore season and his redshirt junior season. He played only nine games during his junior season after battling through injuries such as a stress fracture in his left leg, forcing him to take a medical redshirt for the campaign. In his collegiate career, he averaged 11.7 points per game with 5.7 rebounds per game. In his final season at Ohio State, Bates-Diop was named as a first-team All-Big Ten and was a 2018 Wooden Award first-team All America honoree.In 34 games during the 2017-18 season, the forward led Ohio State in scoring, averaging 19.8 points per game while shooting 48 percent from the field. He also led the team in rebounding, averaging 8.7 per game, and blocks with 56.Updated at 9:01 a.m. to correct Bates-Diop’s collegiate career stats
Nivolumab is currently available through the NHS Cancer Drugs Fund for both previously treated squamous non-small-cell lung cancer and for previously treated non-squamous non-small-cell lung cancer.There are around 47,200 new lung cancer cases in the UK every year, and it is the UK’s third most common cancer. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. Research on 854 patients, presented by Dr Scott Gettinger of Yale Comprehensive Cancer Centre in the US, showed that those on the drug were five times more likely to still be alive after five years than those on conventional chemotherapy (docetaxel).Five-year survival rates were 13.4 per cent for people on the drug compared to 2.6 per cent for those on chemotherapy. And eight per cent of those given immunotherapy had not seen the disease progress – compared with none of those on conventional treatment. A new immunotherapy cancer drug boosts survival rate five-fold, scientists from Yale have found. Patients with advanced lung cancer were far more likely to be alive after five years, compared with those given standard chemotherapy.The immunotherapy drug nivolumab, which is used for several cancers, works by blocking a protein that stops the immune system attacking cancer cells.The drug helps the patient’s own immune system find and destroy cancer cells as they spread.New research presented at the World Conference on Lung Cancer in Barcelona shows the drug can have a powerful effect in extending survival for people with advanced lung cancer who have few treatment options.It is the first time clinical data has been presented showing how patients are faring after five years on the medicine.
Short URL May 2nd 2017, 12:45 PM Image: Thomas Eisenhuth/DPA/PA Images Poll: Should parents have a say in how much homework their children get? If the child is stressed by academics, should the parent say when enough is enough? Tweet thisShare on FacebookEmail this article 16,389 Views I don’t know (427) YesNoI don’t knowVote Image: Thomas Eisenhuth/DPA/PA Images Yes (4611) By TheJournal.ie Team Share Tweet Email1 Tuesday 2 May 2017, 12:45 PM http://jrnl.ie/3368686 No (3285) 59 Comments Poll Results: LAST WEEK, A letter from a parent to a teacher received a lot of attention, with thousands of mothers and fathers agreeing with the writer’s sentiment that her child was getting way too much homework.Bunmi Laditan from Quebec wrote to her daughter’s teachers questioning why she was having to complete up to three hours homework every night, even though she had been in school from 8.15am to 4pm.She queried whether her 10-year-old should have to miss out on family time, play time and ‘downtime’. In the end, she decided her child would no longer do homework because she “needs to be a kid”.Read her full letter here>What do you think? Should parents have a say in how much homework their children get?
Short URL 35,655 Views Share37 Tweet Email3 Investigation launched after hundreds of fish found dead in Cork river It’s understood they died due to “a significant algal bloom”. Aug 30th 2019, 6:02 PM Image: Shutterstock/Rostislav Stefanek https://jrnl.ie/4789869 HUNDREDS, AND POSSIBLY thousands, of fish have been found dead in a river in Co Cork, according to Inland Fisheries Ireland.A spokesperson for the organisation said an initial investigation indicates that “a significant algal bloom” caused the incident.The fish died in a minor tributary of the Bandon River, south of Dunmanway, near Curraghalicky Lake.The species affected include brown trout, juvenile salmon and bream.A local angler reported the incident and Inland Fisheries Ireland visited the scene on Monday evening.“Efforts are ongoing to assess the extent of the fish kill and an aerial survey of the lake is under way,” a spokesperson for the group said.Cork County Council has taken water samples from the lake and river and is liaising with Inland Fisheries Ireland in their investigation.Members of the public can report instances of illegal fishing, water pollution or invasive species by calling Inland Fisheries Ireland’s confidential helpline on 1890 34 74 24. File photo By Órla Ryan 26 Comments File photo Image: Shutterstock/Rostislav Stefanek Friday 30 Aug 2019, 6:02 PM Tweet thisShare on FacebookEmail this article
ROCKLAND, Maine — An Army veteran who pounded the pavement from coast to coast to honor the nation’s fallen troops finished his grueling journey in rain and high winds on Friday in Maine.Mike Ehredt of Hope, Idaho, placed a flag in the ground every mile along the way to honor military personnel killed in Iraq. On Friday, the final flag honored Marine Maj. Jay Aubin, a pilot from Waterville who died when his CH-46E Sea Knight helicopter went down near the Iraq border.The 49-year-old extreme runner kicked off his journey on May 1 in Astoria, Ore., passing through Clark County two days later. He averaged about 29 miles a day and took only four days off. All told, he ran 4,425 miles.Howling winds and sheets of rain accompanied his finish on the Rockland waterfront, among supporters wearing bright yellow T-shirts emblazoned with, “Thanks Mike!”“Who needs blue skies and sun when it can be like this in Maine?” he joked as he was surrounded by supporters, including some high school runners who joined him.Friday’s weather aside, the operation ran with military precision. Ehredt kept to his schedule and stayed with a different family every night. He suffered no knee or hip problems, which often plague distance runners. He didn’t even lose any weight. Each morning, he popped a couple of painkillers, and hit the road.