Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York The federal government is making more than $730 million available to fund long-awaited Long Island power grid upgrades and an additional $700 million to cover the cost of Sandy-related repairs, officials said.The $1.4 billion agreement, announced Friday by Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office, which characterized the move as “unprecedented” in New York State because of its promise to provide protection against future outages without burdening ratepayers with the costs of repairs.Cuomo’s office said Federal Emergency Management Agency funding will go toward elevating damaged substations, moving certain power lines underground and automatic sectionalizing switches across the grid, among other improvements.“We need to reimagine New York for the new reality of extreme weather and I want to thank FEMA for providing this new support to help us build back better and stronger than ever before,” Cuomo said in a statement.The agreement also punctuates the complete turnaround of how the electric grid is managed on Long Island after officials blasted the Long Island Power Authority for its handling of the Oct. 29, 2012 hurricane. Since the storm, the state passed a bill that restructured LIPA by transforming it into a holding company and dramatically cutting its staff and board.“We’re not just building back the same, we’re building back stronger, so that the next time a superstorm hits, the lights don’t go off across Long Island,” Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) added in a statement. “This generous amount of funding from the Federal Hurricane Sandy relief bill will make sure that Long Islanders, who saw such miserable service during the storm, will not be on the hook for the repairs and improvements to the system.”Under the agreement, the state will bare the responsibility of determining how to utilize the $730 million made available to improve resiliency, a stipulation that the governor’s office cheered.Ninety-percent of the funding will be paid for by FEMA, with the remainder coming from a federal Community Development Block Grant issued by the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development, Cuomo’s office said.
As news of her passing made its way across social media, fans poured in condolences. Among the tributes was the ubiquitous slogan from Star Wars: “May the force be with you.” Other than stepping back into the iconic sci-fi universe that made her famous, Fisher had appeared in the comedy Catastrophe and was the voice of Angela in Family Guy.” Embed from Getty Images Although Fisher appeared in dozens of films and TV shows, her role as Princess Leia, beginning with Star Wars: Episode IV, earned her iconic status. Fisher reprised the role to complete the trilogy and was reunited with the cast of the space epics last year in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, much to the delight of fans across the galaxy. Famed Star Wars actress Carrie Fisher died on Tuesday, according to reports. She was 60 years old. Best known for her dynamic performance as Princess Leia in the intergalactic Star Wars films, Fisher suffered cardiac arrest aboard a flight on Friday. Fisher’s death was announced by a family spokesperson in a statement to People magazine.“She was loved by the world and she will be missed profoundly,” the statement read. “Our entire family thanks you for your thoughts and prayers.” Fisher died at 8:55 a.m., according to the statement. Fisher had been flying from London to Los Angeles when she suffered a heart attack. At what point of the flight she fell ill still remained unclear. Fisher was hospitalized immediately after the flight had landed and had been placed in an intensive care unit. She remained in ICU on Sunday, when her mother, Debbie Reynolds, wrote on her Facebook account that her daughter was listed in “stable condition.” “To all her friends and fans, I thank you all for your prayers and good wishes.” Fisher’s co-star, Mark Hamill, who played the role of Luke Skywalker, had a short message for his followers upon hearing about his friend’s death: Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Embed from Getty Images
The Salvation Army has even gotten extra help from some local businesses. If you are able to make a contribution to the Salvation Army, click here. Members of the Union Center Christian Church have also recently donated. “The homeless population, the helpless population, those who are down on their luck. Really anybody that needs our services we’re available to serve,” said Captain Joseph Hansen. Some of the businesses who have donated so far include Cracker Barrel, Ruby Tuesday, Traditions, Bimbos Bakeries. “We know that it’s impacting families who have lost jobs or have been laid off, so we know it’s impacted them but it’s nice to be able to give them a ray of hope in that we can be able to provide them with some food,” said Hansen. “We’re used to getting to know our clients, being with them, just getting to know them and showing them that they’re loved and they’re cared for,” said Hansen. “We couldn’t do this without the community support and we’ve had lots of restaurants step up to give us some produce and other foods so we could continue our mission,” said Hansen. “We’re always dependent on our donors to help us throughout the year. It’s really nothing new to us that the community would step up and really support us during a time when it’s the most needed,” said Hansen. Since the coronavirus pandemic, Hansen says the Salvation Army has seen three times more people walking through its doors. Despite serving more people, the organization has had to make changes and even some cuts to its programs– a reality that hurts. BINGHAMTON (WBNG) — The Salvation Army of Binghamton’s mission is to meet human needs. That can be a little tough during this time, but its still doing everything it can. The organization helps some of the people who need it most in our area, mostly addressing food insecurity. It’s still operating its soup kitchen as takeout only and its food pantry is contactless.
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
A plastic shower hose was pulled from a dolphins stomach in Fort Myers.On Friday, the seven-foot long male dolphin washed ashore Fort Myers Beach in Big Carlos Pass, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.The FCC discovered the plastic item in the animal’s stomach during an autopsy.The FWC will have samples collected from the dolphin analyzed to determine the exact cause of death.This is the second stranded dolphin to be found in the area with a belly full of garbage in a month.A baby female rough-toothed dolphin had a piece of a balloon and two plastic bags in its stomach at in late April.The dolphin was found emaciated and in poor health, and biologists decided to “humanely euthanize” it.
MORE: Steelers coach Mike Tomlin favors incentivizing minority hires to fix ‘broken’ systemSingletary went on to work as an assistant with the Vikings and Rams before more recently moving on to the AAF and high school football.Between his time at the NFL, AAF and high school levels, Singletary has compiled a head coaching record of 21-49 (.300). Going 1-21 at a high school program is a far cry from coaching in the NFL, which Singletary did for 12 seasons. He started out as a linebackers coach for the Ravens in 2003. Two seasons later, he joined Baltimore defensive coordinator Mike Nolan in heading to the 49ers.When Nolan was fired as head coach midway through the 2008, San Francisco named Singletary interim head coach. He remained at the helm for two more seasons, amassing an 18-22 record in two and a half before being dismissed heading into the final week of the 2010 season. Mike Singletary has accomplished a lot of great things in his football career. He was a Hall of Fame linebacker with the Bears, most notably playing on the vaunted 1985 defense that led Chicago to a Super Bowl championship. But his coaching career hasn’t quite panned out the way he hoped.The Dallas Morning News reported last week that Singletary resigned from his head coaching duties at Trinity Christian Academy in Addison, Texas. In two seasons at TCA, Singletary compiled a 1-21 record, including a winless 0-11 season in 2019. The school’s athletic director, Donald English, told the Morning News that Singletary has been focused on motivational speaking and consulting since his resignation.