KINGSTON, Jamaica – The Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL), which took place from September 4 to October 12, 2019, had a significant economic impact on the Caribbean, resulting from increased jobs and tourist arrivals during the event.YouGov Sport, an international sports research organization, calculated the economic gains as US$136,542,868 earned throughout the region, a 7.21% increase on the results from 2018. The figure has been calculated using organiser spend, visitor spend and media value.The 34 match tournament took place in six Caribbean countries, with games taking place in Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia and Trinidad & Tobago. The tournament increased the positive economic impact it made on each of those countries in 2019 compared with the figures from 2018.In addition to that economic impact figure, the Hero CPL employed more than 1500 staff, filled 36,830 hotel rooms and saw an overall increase in arrivals into the host countries by those arriving to watch CPL matches.The CPL takes place at a time (August/September) when there are fewer tourist arrivals into the Caribbean and it is therefore pleasing to see the tournament help increase the in-bound numbers across all the markets where CPL is played. We are also delighted that Caribbean nationals who live overseas choose CPL as a time to combine visits home to see family and friends – reinforcing our objective of uniting local communities through their love of cricket and their country.Speaking about the report from YouGov Sport the Hero CPL Chief Executive Officer, Damien O’Donohoe said: “With Hero CPL showing the Caribbean in the best possible light in continues to be a wonderful way for the region to promote itself to the rest of the world. We have now had seven editions of the CPL and our total economic impact on the region is now worth hundreds of millions of US dollars. This shows we are making a positive impact in all the countries we host games in. We are here to stay, making a positive economic contribution, improving our environmental impact and developing cricketers who are going to succeed in West Indies colours.”CPL came to an exciting end on October 12, 2019, when the Barbados Tridents defeated favorites Guyana Amazon Warriors, at the Brian Lara Stadium in Trinidad, to win their second CPL title.
Horford, 33, is coming off a season in which he averaged 13.6 points and 6.7 rebounds while shooting 53.5% from the floor and 36 percent from 3-point range. He helped the Celtics to a 49-33 record, but they were eliminated from the playoffs early by the Bucks in the Eastern Conference semifinals. Star Kyrie Irving will also be a free agent this summer and it’s been reported that his chances of re-singing with the Celtics are low. Al Horford has the support of at least one former Celtic as Paul Pierce defended Horford’s decision to explore other opportunities outside of Boston. “A lot of these guys when they get in their late 20’s or early 30’s and they know there’s light at the end of the tunnel, they try to maximize their dollars,” Pierce told MassLive.com. “So if there’s an opportunity for Al Horford to get more money, I’m sure that’s something you have to look into.” Horford initially declined his $30.1 million player option with the hopes of working out a new three-year deal with Boston in July, ESPN reported Tuesday.However, it was later reported that though the two sides discussed contract scenarios the gap was too large for the Celtics and Horford to reach an agreement. Instead, he wants to find a three- or four-year deal from a different team. “It’s something that I haven’t even stopped to think about,” Horford said about free agency last month (via MassLive.com). “I’ve enjoyed being here in Boston. Just have to wait and see what we’re going to do as a team. And it’s steps that the management is going to do moving forward and continue to get better.” Lakers free agency rumors: L.A. interested in adding Brook Lopez, DeAndre Jordan, Nikola Vucevic Pierce also explained that Horford may want to move on from Boston because the Celtics haven’t won a title during his three seasons with the team.”It might have been different if they won a championship with him here, but they didn’t win a championship and now he’s at the point where this is his last big contract,” Pierce said. “You gotta understand the player is always going to do what’s best for them and their family.” Related News
Francisco Javier Arellano Felix, who led a cartel that emerged as a drug powerhouse in the 1980s, was captured last year when the Coast Guard found him deep-sea fishing off Mexico. Arellano Felix, 39, pleaded guilty to running a continuing criminal enterprise and conspiracy to launder money. He agreed to forfeit $50 million and the yacht on which he was captured. The plea agreement came after officials in Washington, D.C., agreed Saturday to not pursue the death penalty. Also Monday, a top lieutenant to Arellano Felix, Manuel Arturo Villarreal Heredia, pleaded guilty to racketeering and conspiracy to invest illicit drug profits. Prosecutors plan to seek the maximum sentence of 30 years in prison. The Arellano Felix cartel, based across the border from San Diego in Tijuana, Mexico, is well-known for its ruthlessness, and was blamed in a 2003 U.S. indictment for 20 murders in the U.S. and Mexico. COURTS: Deal ensures member of the Arellano Felix cartel won’t be executed for at least 20 murders. By Elliot Spagat THE ASSOCIATED PRESS SAN DIEGO – A notorious Mexican drug lord pleaded guilty Monday to federal crimes that carry a mandatory life sentence, reaching a deal that spares him execution. In December, prosecutors included as evidence of a criminal enterprise allegations that Arellano Felix ordered the killing of Tijuana’s deputy police chief and the beheadings of three police officers. Arellano Felix sat in court Monday wearing an orange jumpsuit and answered procedural questions calmly in Spanish. He was led out of the courtroom in handcuffs. According to the agreement read in court, Arellano Felix helped run the cartel, which brought into the United States hundreds of tons of cocaine and hundreds of tons of marijuana and laundered hundreds of millions of dollars. Under the plea agreement all other charges were dropped. The cartel was once led by seven brothers and four sisters, but Francisco Javier’s brother Ramon was killed in a shootout with police in 2002, his brother Benjamin is in a Mexican prison and brother Eduardo is at large. The U.S. Coast Guard captured Arellano Felix as he was deep-sea fishing aboard his yacht, the Dock Holiday, in international waters off Mexico’s Baja California coast in August 2006. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
The Angels began play in 1961 as the Los Angeles Angels, becoming the California Angels when the team moved from Los Angeles to Anaheim in 1966. The name was changed to the Anaheim Angels in 1997. Anaheim Mayor Curt Pringle refused to attend a single regular season game after Moreno renamed the team, but he caved when the Angels made the postseason playoffs last year. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SANTA ANA – Angels owner Arte Moreno violated a 10-year-old contract with the city of Anaheim that lost $100 million in tourism revenue and publicity when he changed the team’s name last year, a city attorney said Friday. A packed courtroom watched as the much-anticipated trial pitting the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and the city of Anaheim began. Curious fans were on hand, some wearing T-shirts that read “We Are Not L.A.” The city sued the Angels after Moreno abruptly changed the name from the Anaheim Angels last January. The city alleges that the 2002 World Series champions breached a contract that promised the word “Anaheim” would be prominently displayed in the Angels’ name and on all team merchandise and advertising. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita City attorney Andrew Guilford argued that the city entered into a contract with the team’s former owner, The Walt Disney Co., in 1996 with the understanding that the name Anaheim Angels would bring the city so-called “impressions” – the publicity they get each time the Angels play. Guilford said testimony during the trial, which is expected to last a month, would show that contract was worth $100 million to the city. He said the city paid for $20 million in stadium renovations and $10 million in billboard publicity as a concession so Disney would put Anaheim in the team name. “The evidence will show that is an incredible brand that even Nike would die for,” Guilford said. “It’s a brand IBM would die for. It’s a brand even McDonald’s and its golden arches would die for. And that’s the logo Anaheim is here to get back.” Angels’ attorneys were expected to make their opening statements Friday afternoon. Moreno, who plans to attend every day of the trial until spring training, has said he changed the name to make the most of the Angels’ location in the nation’s second-largest media market. He said using Los Angeles in the name would attract more sponsorships, advertising and broadcast contracts.