Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNHL-VIRUS OUTBREAKNHL, players’ union announce plan to resume play on Aug. 1UNDATED (AP) — The National Hockey League and NHL Players’ Association have reached a tentative agreement to return to play this season and extend their collective bargaining agreement by four years. The Washington Nationals and Houston Astros called off training camp practices Monday after not receiving test results from Friday. General manager Mike Rizzo of the champion Nationals said it’s not safe to continue with camp without accurate and timely testing. Rizzo called on Major League Baseball to work quickly to resolve issues with its lab to keep the season from being at risk. Astros GM James Click speculated the July 4th holiday weekend contributed to the delay. MLB said it addressed delays caused by the holiday weekend and doesn’t expect them to continue.MLB-BRAVES-MARKAKIS WASHINGTON (AP) — More than a dozen Native American leaders and organizations have sent a letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell calling for the league to force Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder to change the team name immediately.The letter was signed by 15 Native American advocates and obtained by The Associated Press. It demands the team and the NFL cease the use of Native American names, imagery and logos — with specific importance put on Washington, which last week launched what the team called a “ thorough review ” of its name.The letter was delivered on the same day that President Donald Trump voiced his opposition to any name change by the team. Several team sponsors have come out in favor of change recently and Snyder showed his first indication of willingness to do so amid a nationwide movement to erase racially insensitive symbols.IOWA STATE-COACHES COMMENTBolton left Penn State after coach’s ‘noose’ comment Update on the latest sports The contract extension starts in 2022 when the NFL salary cap is projected to be $227.5 million. However, that number could be lower depending on revenue losses due to the cornonavirus pandemic and the possibility any games played this season won’t have fans. In other NFL moves:The San Francisco 49ers signed cornerback Jamar Taylor to a one-year contract. San Francisco cleared room on the roster by waiving cornerback Teez Tabor with a non-football injury designation. The 29-year-old Taylor appeared in 12 combined games for Atlanta and Seattle last season. GOLF-MEMORIAL-SPECTATORSPlans for spectators are scrapped WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is criticizing NASCAR for banning the Confederate flag at its races and is going after its only Black driver. After a weekend spent stoking division, Trump wrongly accused Bubba Wallace of perpetrating “a hoax” after one of his crew members discovered a rope shaped like a noose in a garage stall. Federal authorities ruled last month that the rope had been hanging there since at least last October and was not a hate crime. Trump is asking whether Wallace has “apologized to all of those great NASCAR drivers & officials who came to his aid.”NFL-REDSKINS NAMENative American groups ask NFL to force Redskins name change Training camps would open July 13 and games would resume Aug. 1 if approved by the league’s board of governors and players’ executive committee and full membership. The NHL is going straight to the playoffs with 24 teams resuming play. Those teams will travel to one of two “hub” cities July 26. A person with direct knowledge of the agreements told The Associated Press that the NHL has selected Toronto and Edmonton, Alberta, to be the hub cities in hosting the qualifying round and at least first two playoff rounds.MLB-TESTING DELAYSNationals, Astros cancel workoutsWASHINGTON (AP) — Baseball’s two World Series finalists have each canceled workouts because of COVID-19 testing delays. MLB-RANGERS-GALLORangers’ Gallo tests positiveARLINGTON, Texas (AP) — All-Star slugger Joey Gallo has tested positive for the coronavirus and is missing the Texas Rangers’ summer camp. The outfielder has yet to show any symptoms of COVID-19. Gallo had been among Rangers players who worked out for several weeks at their new ballpark before his positive test. Rangers general manager Jon Daniels says Gallo has had multiple tests, including one that came back negative. An initial test June 27 was positive, followed by a negative test and then another positive result Sunday. Gallo is isolating at his Dallas apartment and away from teammates. Daniels says the teammates Gallo was around have tested negative. In other MLB news:— Mookie Betts wasn’t moved by Major League Baseball’s response in the wake of George Floyd’s death in police custody, and the Los Angeles Dodgers’ newest star has a goal of getting the Black community to love baseball as much as he does. MLB released a statement nine days after the death of Floyd. MLB was the last of the major pro sports leagues that either responded to Floyd’s death or condemned racism. Betts says baseball didn’t do a good job with that, but he think voices were heard. —The New York Yankees held their first intrasquad game of summer camp Monday as they prepare for a condensed 60-game season that starts in 2 1/2 weeks. Aaron Judge, Gleyber Torres, Giancarlo Stanton and other regulars from the defending AL East champs took hacks under the lights against teammates for six innings. J.A. Happ’s first pitch came about an hour after Major League Baseball unveiled the schedule for a season it hopes to run through a pandemic. The Yankees will open July 23 against the World Series champion Nationals in Washington — Phillies ace Aaron Nola reported to camp on Monday after waiting a few extra days because he was in contact with someone who tested positive for the coronavirus. The Phillies have had seven players and five staff members test positive for the virus. None has been identified. Nola threw a bullpen session upon arriving and would likely start Philadelphia’s season opener later this month if he’s ready. Nola finished third in NL Cy Young Award voting in 2018 when he was 17-6 with a 2.37 ERA. He was 12-7 with a 3.87 ERA last year.SPORTS-PPP LOANS Sports jumps on PPP bandwagon, but big leagues take a passRapper Ice Cube, Republican Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine and longtime boxing promoter Bob Arum led a cavalcade of sports leagues, federations, businesses and teams that navigated a federal loan program designed to help small firms cope with the economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic.Data released Monday showed hundreds of thousands of Paycheck Protection Program recipients across a wide range of industries, and sports-related businesses were well represented. However, none of the four major North American sports leagues — the NFL, NBA, NHL and Major League Baseball — were among the businesses that applied, according to the data.Big 3 Basketball LLC, a Los Angeles-based 3-on-3 basketball league co-founded by Ice Cube, received $1.6 million and returned $700,000, Jeremy Watkins, a spokesman for the company, told The Associated Press. The remaining $600,000 was used to pay coaches and players for this season and ensure the league could play its 2021 season.At least four Major League Soccer teams tapped the PPP program, according to the data: D.C. United and Inter Miami were approved for loans in the $1 million to $2 million range, while Orlando City and the Seattle Sounders each applied for between $2 million and $5 million. Under the PPP, Congress created $659 billion in low-interest loans that will be forgiven if employers use the money on payroll, rent and similar expenses. With about $130 billion unclaimed as the application deadline closed June 30, Congress extended the program until Aug. 8.NFL-CHIEFS-MAHOMESChiefs, Mahomes agree to 10-year, $503 million extensionThe Kansas City Chiefs made sure they’ll have Super Bowl MVP Patrick Mahomes around as long as possible. Mahomes agreed to a 10-year extension worth up to $503 million, according to his agency, Steinberg Sports. The deal is worth $477 million in guarantee mechanisms and includes a no-trade clause and opt-out clauses if guarantee mechanisms aren’t met. It’s the richest contract in professional sports history, surpassing Mike Trout’s $426.5 million deal with the Los Angeles Angels.The Chiefs had the 2018 NFL MVP under contract for the next two seasons but that wasn’t nearly enough. Associated Press July 6, 2020 UNDATED (AP) — Iowa State guard Rasir Bolton said he decided to leave Penn State last spring because of a comment by coach Pat Chambers, who said the player had a noose around his neck. Bolton, who is Black, disclosed the reason for his departure Monday in a tweet he titled “a noose around my neck.”Chambers, who is white, later tweeted an apology. Bolton tweeted that Chambers made the noose comment after the coach returned from a one-game suspension for shoving Nittany Lions player Myles Dread in the chest during the previous game. Bolton told The Undefeated he was offended by the reference and confronted both Chambers and the athletic director’s office. UNDATED (AP) — The PGA Tour and the Memorial have scrapped state-approved plans to have limited spectators next week in Ohio. The Memorial was scheduled to be the first tournament with spectators since golf return from the COVID-19 pandemic-caused shutdown. Republican Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine approved a plan for there to be 20% capacity at Muirfield Village. The tour said rapidly changing dynamics of the pandemic caused that to change. PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan says golf needs to stay focused on health and safety. Muirfield Village is hosting back-to-back events. The Workday Charity Open this week was not planning on having fans.TRUMP-BUBBA WALLACETrump lashes out at NASCAR, Bubba Wallace over flag, rope Markakis won’t play this yearATLANTA (AP) — Atlanta Braves veteran outfielder Nick Markakis has become the latest player to opt out of the 2020 season due to increased concerns about the coronavirus pandemic. Markakis is the second Atlanta veteran in two days to announce plans to sit out the 60-game season, following right-hander Félix Hernández. The 36-year-old Markakis says he was uneasy about playing the season without fans and then was swayed by his telephone conversation with teammate Freddie Freeman, who has tested positive for COVID-19 and has fever and other symptoms. Dodgers pitcher David Price, Washington infielder Ryan Zimmerman and Colorado outfielder Ian Desmond are among other players who have opted out.
Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs “Every time they call it that way I think we have a chance, all we ask for really is a fair chance. Today we got that so it’s easier to accept defeat. We got a fair chance, we did our part, they did their part and in the end it was just them executing better in the end.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next That, however, proved to be the KaTropa’s last stand in the quarterfinals as the Beermen iced the game from the free throw line and advance to the semifinals.What Racela liked, though, was the free throw disparity wasn’t as glaring.Game 1 saw San Miguel take 40 free throws and make 31 while TNT only had 18 chances at the stripe and converted eight.The second game saw a closer, and fairer as Racela described, margin with San Miguel’s 30 free throw attempts just nine more than what TNT had.“It’s nice that today they allowed us to play, actually for the first time the free throws were surprising, I think 30-21 but we fouled in the end so it’s probably 26-21,” said Racela who almost put Game 1 in protest.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil MOST READ In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ The KaTropa squandered a 23-point lead in Game 1 to lose 121-110 and botched comeback in Game 2 as the Beermen completed the sweep with a 106-102 win.With another lost opportunity for a title, Nash Racela still can’t help but look at the silver lining.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’“I like how we lost today, I really felt the team did their part effort-wise and they were just following the plan,” said Racela Wednesday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.TNT came back from an eight-point deficit, 94-86, in the fourth quarter with Jayson Castro’s three-pointer tying the game at 98-98 with 2:06 left. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Report: Disney dropping the ‘Fox’ from movie studio names ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins Putin’s, Xi’s ruler-for-life moves pose challenges to West Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Trump assembles a made-for-TV impeachment defense team Marcial reminds Romeo: Be careful in public Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. TNT’s quarterfinals series loss to San Miguel in the PBA Commissioner’s Cup wasn’t the easiest pill to swallow.ADVERTISEMENT View comments
FORMER Fianna Fail man Michael McBride took up his position on the county councillor today and declared: “I’m delighted to be a Labour Party representative.”Last Friday donegaldaily was first to reveal that Mr McBride had accepted an offer to be co-opted onto Donegal County Council.And today he was accompanied to HQ in Lifford by Senator Jimmy Harte whose seat he is taking up. Said Cllr McBride: “I am deeply honoured to be representing people in Letterkenny and Milford. I know a lot of the councillors on the council and of course some are former party colleagues in Fianna Fail.“I am delighted to be representing the people and for the Labour Party.”Cllr McBride was formally co-opted and welcomed to the body by all other councillors.Senator Harte added: “Michael is a fantastic representative. He will serve the people well. “This is a good day for the electorate and a good day for the Labour Party.”CLLR McBRIDE TAKES UP SEAT ON COUNTY COUNCIL was last modified: May 30th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:county councillormichael mcbrideSenator Jimmy Harte