Harry Redknapp claims there is little chance of QPR signing Brede Hangeland or Jonas Olsson this week.The Rangers boss would like to land both players but recently had a bid for West Brom defender Olsson rejected.And he says he does not believe Fulham will listen to pre-deadline offers for Hangeland, whose contract expires at the end of the season.Redknapp said: “I’d like to have both of them but the clubs don’t want to sell them. I don’t see them being possible – I wouldn’t have thought so.”Fulham have shown an interest in Olsson, who is keen to move to London, while West Ham are monitoring the situation.Meanwhile, West Brom have rejected a second bid from QPR for Peter Odemwingie despite the forward publicly making it clear that he wants to move to Loftus Road.“It’s a difficult situation for West Brom. The whole situation has been a bit too public, but that’s not our doing,” said Redknapp.Redknapp also insists Rangers have not received an approach for Jamie Mackie.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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
18 September 2012South African President Jacob Zuma has once again appealed for peace to return to the Marikana mining area in North West province following weeks of violent protests.Addressing the national congress of the Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) in Johannesburg on Monday, Zuma said worker rights were enshrined in the Constitution, and added that there was legislation giving effect to the constitutional provisions. But he urged workers to respect the country’s laws.He reminded the gathering of South Africa’s biggest trade union federation that employers and employees had the mechanisms to manage relations in the workplace. There was no need to resort to violence.Zuma said the judicial commission of inquiry he had appointed would establish the facts around what happened in Marikana last month when 34 protesting miners were killed in clashes with police, a week after 10 people had died, including two police officers, in ongoing violence among rival unions.Violence ‘cannot become labour culture’“But there are a few immediate lessons,” Zuma said. “Firstly, we have to find a way to restore workplace stability and labour peace. Violence cannot become a culture of our labour relations.”He said workers and employers needed to use the laws of the country, which spelt out clearly how to handle disputes.“Given the levels of violence and intimidation in Marikana, government deployed law enforcement agencies to stabilise the situation. This does not take away the rights of miners and residents to protest, peacefully and unarmed, as provided for in the laws of the land,” said Zuma.The agencies had been told to be firm, but to respect the rights of residents and strikers.This applied not only to labour disputes but also to service delivery protests, which were at times also accompanied by violence, including the destruction of property.Workers at Lonmin platinum mine are demanding a basic salary of R12 500 a month with employers last week offering a R900 increase to the current R4 600 entry level salary.Impact on the economyIn his speech, Zuma urged the workers and their employers to find solutions to the dispute without further delay, given its ongoing impact on the economy.He said indications were that the total rand value of production lost in the gold and platinum group of mines due to work stoppages over the past nine months was close to R4.5-billion. Losses in the coal sector, adds another R118-million to the total.The National Treasury estimates that through its indirect impact on the economy, the strike actions in addition to other stoppages have already subtracted close to R3.1-billion from the national fiscus.The impact went beyond the mining sector. The manufacturing sector, especially the fabricated metal products sector, was already showing signs of strain.“We cannot afford to go into a recession, and revert to the 2008 and 2009 period where the country lost close to a million jobs, which we are still battling to recover,” Zuma said. “We wish the employers and workers well as they seek a solution to this wage impasse.”The government would continue to provide support to the negotiations through the ministry of labour, Zuma added.Housing and living conditions of workersAccording to the Mining Charter, mining companies are required to improve the housing and living conditions of workers and also to invest in skills development, employment equity, ownership as well as local community development.They have to meet certain targets for the conversion and upgrading of single-sex hostels formerly used by migrant labourers into family units or single occupancy accommodation by 2014.Companies are also expected to facilitate home ownership by 2014.“Our monitoring indicates that 50% have complied with the provisions relating to improving living conditions,” Zuma said. “We applaud those companies that are complying with this provision to humanise the living conditions of workers.”Source: SANews.gov.za
Philippine military’s joint forces train to retake island PLAY LIST 01:57Philippine military’s joint forces train to retake island02:11Lacson, Dela Rosa likely to support ‘once in a lifetime’ divorce01:44Lorenzana wants to send new Navy warship to Palawan, Sulu Sea02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Both Ginebra team manager Reyboy Rodriguez and Blackwater team manager Johnson Martines confirmed the trade.Dela Cruz has averaged 12.3 points, 5.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and 1.7 steals in his second year in the league, but missed the import-laden conferences due to his ruptured Achilles injury after being selected to be a part of the Gilas Pilipinas pool.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingHis entry to Ginebra will be a shot in the arm for the squad, which is betting on its youth with Scottie Thompson, Kevin Ferrer, and Aljon Mariano in tow. Blackwater, meanwhile, will receive serviceable forward Marcelo and the high-flying Ellis, who is looking to get the biggest break of his career with his new team. Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Biggest Pogo service provider padlocked for tax evasion Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Ellis has been averaging 3.0 points, 3.4 rebounds, and 1.2 assists in 13.12 minutes this conference for Ginebra.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES MOST READ Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Malaysia dismiss judging concerns as SEA Games close Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ PBA IMAGESThe rich get richer as Ginebra acquired the services of hardworking sophomore Art dela Cruz from Blackwater.The deal, which is set to be approved this Thursday afternoon, will send dela Cruz and Raymond Aguilar to the Elite in exchange for Chris Ellis and Dave Marcelo from the Gin Kings.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
Arunima Sinha in hospital.Finally, the government has woken up to the plight of volleyball player Arunima Sinha, who lost her leg for resisting a robbery. Arunima, who had been pushed off a moving train by robbers in Uttar Pradesh on Monday, will get a job.The government was shaken out of its slumber only after Arunima snubbed the paltry compensation of Rs 25,000 offered by the sports ministry on Wednesday. Now the railways has said that it will offer her a job.In addition to that, Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports Ajay Maken on Thursday also clarified that what he offered on Wednesday was only interim compensation. Now, his ministry has released an additional Rs two lakh as medical relief to her, with the assurance that even more money would be given, if needed.”I have written to the Home Minister to give her job in CISF. If needed, we will give more relief and attempts to get her job in other ministries as well. We are releasing Rs two lakh as medical relief to her,” Maken said.Maken also slammed the UP government and the railways, saying, “The UP government had more responsibility in this regard. They should try to catch culprits and given more compensation. Even the Railway Ministry could provide her job.”Following her fall, one of Sinha’s legs had to be amputated below the knee. The other leg suffered multiple fractures as she was hit by a train passing on the adjacent track. The accident occurred near Bareilly station during her journey from Lucknow to Delhi on the Padmavati Express. Sinha had on Wednesday said she was a victim of attempted robbery. “They tried to snatch my chain. I resisted and got into a fight. Suddenly, they pushed me off the train,” she said.advertisementRailway board offers helpRailway Board chairman Vivek Sahay has said not only will his department offer her compensation, but will also work towards rehabilitating her. Sahay added that the railways have begun looking for a non-governmental organisation to ensure prosthetic aid for the hapless victim. Arunima, who was crippled for life after allegedly being pushed off a moving train in UP, was offered just Rs 25,000 as ex-gratia by the Union sports ministry. An enraged Sinha on Thursday turned down the government’s financial assistance – shortly after it was announced by Ajay Maken, MoS with Independent Charge for Youth Affairs and Sports. The 23-year-old demanded a government job to compensate for her career loss. Sinha had to face more humiliation on Thursday when the Government Railway Police (GRP) brushed aside her claim that she fell off the train during a scuffle with robbers.