The Saint Mary’s Department of Music will present their 44th annual Madrigal Christmas Dinner Celebration in the North Lounge of Regina Hall this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.According to Nancy Menk, the chair of the music department and the person responsible for putting the program together, the dinner — like other madrigal dinners — is a re-creation of a 16th century holiday feast. “The idea is that it takes place in a manor and the lord of the manor hosts guests from the community,” she said. “The dinner includes entertainment, instruments, dancers and there is sort of a little play going on during the dinner.”The choir group who performs at the dinner, or the “Madrigals,” have been rehearsing for the dinner since October, sophomore Riley Harber said.“I do women’s choir four hours a week and this is an additional two, which is challenging, but definitely worth it,” Harber, a member of the Madrigals, said. “It’s fun to be immersed in the middle ages atmosphere.”This year’s dinner will mark Menk’s 33rd year of involvement with the dinner at Saint Mary’s. Over the years, she said she has seen the performance change for the better.The Madrigals used to be a mixed group, including men and women from both Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s. This tradition changed 10 years ago to make the group an all-women’s choir.“We changed it to all women so more Saint Mary’s girls could be involved,” she said.The night also used to include an opera during the dinner.“Apparently, before I came they would do a little opera during the dinner — back then it was an extended evening,” she said. “Over the years we’ve added dancers, changed the scenery and have improved it.”Laurie Lowry, a senior lecturer for dance at Saint Mary’s, has been the choreographer of the dinner for the past five years. She said dance brings another element to the dinner.“I think it’s really fun to look at another element in the arts,” she said. “The audience can sit back and enjoy the music and the patterns.“Early dance like that wasn’t really elaborate, but it’s tricky. It puts a different take on what the audience feels and sees.”Menk said madrigal dinners used to be more prominent among schools, which is why its preservation at Saint Mary’s is imperative.“Maybe 20 to 30 years ago, there were more madrigal dinners taking place, but some of them have died away,” she said. “It gives the students a chance to sing repertoire from a different era, which we don’t usually do.”Lowry agreed the Saint Mary’s tradition should be preserved not only for the fun, but for the historical experience.“I think the ones that are in it get a sense of the history of music, the history of dance and so they have a true experience that is happening,” she said. “They’re not just studying it in a history book — they experience it.”Lowry said she uses this method of experience in her classes as well.“I make my students go to the dance floor to experience the genre we are working,” she said. “Unless you experience it, you don’t really understand that.”Lowry said the experience is not only for the actors, but for the audience members as well.“I think that our society right now is so far away from history that regenerating the reality of the tradition of that period gives a sense of what it was like to live back then,” Lowry said. “And it’s just a fun Christmas tradition — it’s different rather than going to a movie or the mall.”The menu includes traditional Renaissance foods such as Cornish game hen, roast beef au jus, roasted vegetables and “wassail,” a traditional hot apple cider.Harber said the dinner helps her get into the holiday spirit, and she hopes it does the same for others.“When I was a kid my dad would always take me to Renaissance fairs, and in high school I always thought it was cool but I never got to participate, so when I got the opportunity I thought I would take advantage of it,” she said. “The Christmas spirit is alive even though it’s not really close to Christmas. I hope people go and have a good time, eat some food, get some laughs and I hope they get the same magical Christmas energy out of it that I do.”Tags: Christmas Madrigal, nancy menk, SMC Department of Music
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer explains why Man Utd defeat against Arsenal ‘hurt’ Arsenal strengthened their grip on a top four place with a win over Manchester United last weekend (Picture: Getty)Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admits he is still ‘hurt’ by Manchester United’s defeat by Arsenal last weekend.After the high of completing an unprecedented Champions League comeback against Paris Saint-Germain, United were brought crashing back down to earth by Unai Emery’s side at the Emirates.Arsenal strengthened their position in the increasingly competitive race for Champions League qualification with a 2-0 victory which came courtesy of goals from Granit Xhaka and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City Advertisement Bernd Leno was in outstanding form against Manchester United last weekend (Picture: Getty)United missed several gilt-edged chances and hit the woodwork twice, while Arsenal were indebted to goalkeeper Bernd Leno for keeping a rare clean sheet.ADVERTISEMENT‘You’re always measured on results,’ said Solskjaer at his pre-match press conference ahead of Saturday FA Cup quarter-final at Wolves.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘But we played a good game against Arsenal, played so much worse and won games and that’s the strange thing when you’re a manager you can look behind the result and say that was a good performance didn’t get what we deserved.‘It’s so strange, the Arsenal one, very disappointed in the result it hurts more than anything.‘But we can’t look at the performance and say we were s**t because we weren’t, to be honest and blunt, we weren’t, we played well.’More: Manchester United FCRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseEx-Man Utd coach blasts Ed Woodward for two key transfer errors Metro Sport ReporterFriday 15 Mar 2019 10:28 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1kShares Comment Advertisement
South Africa’s government will pay compensation to the families of the mineworkers killed by police in a wage dispute in Marikana in 2012.President Jacob Zuma said the families will be compensated, but details of the payments will be determined by an independent panel led by a judge.Police shot 34 miners at the Lonmin platinum mine, claiming they were acting in self-defence.The shooting shocked South Africa and the world at large, and was the most deadly police incident since the end of apartheid.The lawyers representing the families have reportedly welcomed the president’s announcement, saying the gesture was expected a long time ago by the families, most of whom had even lost hope.Many of the mine workers who died were sole bread winners for their families, and the compensation will be a welcome relief for the families.Opposition leaders in the country have argued that the matter should be brought to parliament so that they can weigh in on what a fair settlement would be.
Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo says there is no need yet to place Visayas and Mindanao under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) caused by the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) unlike Luzon. Still, people there are always required to observe physical and social distancing to curb the spread of COVID-19. Duterte has called on all South China Sea claimants to exercise self-restraint and refrain from undertaking activities that heighten uncertainty and instability on the disputed waters. The latest maritime incident involving aChinese “naval ship” harassing an all-Filipino crew of a foreign-flagged,foreign-owned oil tanker is “not a concern” for the Philippines, according to PresidentialSpokesperson Salvador Panelo. “It’s not our concern, because it’s nota Philippine vessel,” Panelo said. “For as long as they do not touch thePhilippine ship or vessel, it would be the concern of that country that carriesthe flag of that particular vessel.” During the recent ASEAN summit, President Rodrigo Duterte said that freedom of navigation and overflight should be observed in the South China Sea. Panelo, however, agreed with Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana’s stand on the incident that China must follow international maritime laws “if it wants to earn the respect of the international community.” “I agree. And I think, China should agree because China itself says that we should respect international law,” Panelo said. The President also pushed for a peaceful resolution of maritime disputes, as he called for the immediate conclusion of a binding Code of Conduct in the South China Sea that is consistent with international laws./PN MANILA – The Malacañang has downplayedthe alleged harassment of a Liberian-flagged commercial vessel nearScarborough Shoal or Bajo de Masinloc.
Leading Nollywood actress and presenter of Bold Faces on TV, Tricia Eseigbe and the Vice Chancellor of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Professor Onimawo Ignatius Akhakhia have joined the celebrity cast for the fifth Okpekpe international 10km road race which holds next month in Okpekpe near Auchi, Etsako East Local Government in Edo State.Both Eseigbe and Professor Onimawo will not be running for the cash prizes on offer at the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) Bronze Label event but for charity.“Tricia, the beautiful TV presenter and Nollywood actress will be running to raise awareness about child sex abuse which is a form of child abuse in which an adult or older adolescent uses a child for sexual stimulation,” revealed Dare Esan, spokesman for the race.“Professor Onimawo, an alumnus of the great University of Ibadan is an academia of high repute who has distinguished himself in areas of research and publications. He has as many as 116 publications both nationally and internationally with 20 in nutritional research to his credit. He understandably will be running at the Okpekpe race to raise awareness about the dangers of cultism especially in our ivory towers,” said Esan who expressed the organisers’ delight at the way credible Nigerians and institutions have embraced the significant platform provided by the Okpekpe race for non-governmental organisations and individuals to create awareness and raise funds for causes and charity. “By taking part in the Okpekpe race, participants will not only get to excel as a runner and test their endurance level, but they will also get to raise awareness and contribute towards a social cause. This year the Okpekpe international 10km road race platform is opened to all interested NGOs in Nigeria who have noble causes to project. Last year we had four charity partners and this year the number has increased,” said Esan.This year’s race will hold on Saturday May 13,2017 in Okpekpe, a town located about 25 kilometres northeast of Auchi.It is the only road race in Nigeria that is recognised by both the IAAF and Association of International Marathons and Distance Races (AIMS) because its race course has been measured by an accredited measurer using the approved calibrated method.The race is organised by Pamodzi Sports Marketing, leaders in sports marketing and hospitality business in Nigeria.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram