International Energy Agency Acknowledges Momentum in Wind and Solar FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Bloomberg News:Renewable forms of energy such as wind and solar are likely to grab a bigger share of the market in the coming decades, generating more electricity than coal by 2040.That’s the conclusion of the International Energy Agency’s annual look into supply and demand, according to a report released on Tuesday in Paris. It estimates renewables will reap about two-thirds of $11.3 trillion in investment likely to flow to power plants over the period.The findings show cleaner forms of energy will increasingly become one of the cheapest ways nations can add electricity generators as the cost of wind and solar farms continues to plunge. The scale of the additional capacity is about the same as adding another China and India to the system today and will leave renewables supplying a quarter of the world’s of global generation by the end of the organization’s forecast horizon.“We have been seeing tremendous reductions for solar, for wind, for batteries,” said Laura Cozzi, deputy head of energy economics at the IEA. “That’s what’s going to keep happening more and more going forward. We are seeing growing electrification happening throughout the energy sector.”Electricity drew more investment than fossil fuel supply last year for the first time, marking a pivot to a future with more industry and buildings running on power instead of fuels. This trend is expected to accelerate to 40 percent of the growth in the final consumption of energy to 2040. That’s similar to the role that oil has played in the energy system over the past 25 years, the IEA said.
ELLSWORTH — Winning on the road against Ellsworth hasn’t been easy for high school boys’ soccer teams in recent years. George Stevens Academy knows better than anyone else.Between facing teams that were perennial state championship contenders under coaching legend Brian Higgins and enduring defeats at the hands of Paul Lock’s squads the past two years, trips to Ellsworth have been tough ones for GSA. On Monday, though, the visiting Eagles finally exorcised their demons — and did so in emphatic fashion.GSA beat Ellsworth 3-0 on Thursday at Del Luce Stadium to continue its undefeated start to the 2018 season. In doing so, the visitors avenged painful losses that saw them fall in overtime after taking a 2-0 lead in 2016 and lose 5-2 last year despite being tied with 20 minutes to go.“It’s not easy to come in here to Ellsworth and win, and you have to appreciate it any time it happens,” GSA head coach Mark Ensworth said. “They [our players] wanted this badly, and they came out here tonight and showed what they were made of.”GSA’s Ricardo Sanchez takes a free kick during the second half of a high school boys’ soccer game Sept. 10 in Ellsworth. GSA moved to 4-0 on the season with the win. ELLSWORTH AMERICAN PHOTO BY MIKE MANDELLThis is placeholder textThis is placeholder textJust as it did two years ago, GSA (4-0) scored twice in the first half. Senior Chris Bennett provided the first goal for the visitors, and Memphis Parker netted the second to double the lead.In the second half, GSA scored for the third time when Michael Moon slipped past the home team’s defense and fired a shot into the bottom-left corner of the net. Ellsworth (0-4) applied its share of offensive pressure and even hit the crossbar with 9 minutes, 44 seconds to play, but GSA stayed strong defensively to come away with a three-goal win.GSA has a myriad of offensive threats such as Moon, Owen Vinall and David Gadsby, but the team’s strength in that area of the pitch lies in its balance. Despite having scored 20 goals in four games thus far — the Eagles scored six in their opening game against Dexter, nine against Deer Isle-Stonington and two against Searsport — no one player has scored more than three goals.“We’re playing very unselfishly, which is nice,” Ensworth said. “There’s a lot of depth on our team, and we have a lot of guys who can perform in a lot of different roles. It’s an advantage when you have that many good options.”GSA has had to replace key players such as Taylor Schildroth, John Larson, Walker Ellsworth and Erik Taylor-Lash, but that hasn’t stopped it from maintaining success. The team has played in the Class C North championship game each of the past two years and looks near the top of the playoff picture once again this season.Ellsworth’s Mike Kazmierczak (middle) and GSA’s Grayson Eaton (right) chase after a loose ball as GSA’s Ricardo Sanchez looks on during the second half of a high school boys’ soccer game Sept. 10 in Ellsworth. Ellsworth fell to 0-4 with the loss. ELLSWORTH AMERICAN PHOTO BY MIKE MANDELL“I think part of our success there is that we’re fortunate to have a really, really strong JV program,” Ensworth said. “There’s not a lot of other Class C JV teams, and that means our JV kids have to play Class B and Class A schools at that level. So they’re playing tough competition every time they go out there, and that makes them battled-tested and gets them ready a lot quicker.”On the other side, Ellsworth finds itself in an unfamiliar position at 0-4. After losing 13 seniors from last year’s squad, Paul Lock’s team is in the beginning stages of a rebuilding process it hopes will yield positive results in the near future.“Our team this year is very young, but we’re picking up something new every game as the year progresses,” Lock said. “GSA was able to open up the field against us, and that was key to them winning. They truly played a great game.”GSA moved up to third place in the Class C North standings with the win. The Eagles will take on Mount Desert Island (1-1-1) at 4 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 12, before taking on Houlton in a battle of two Class C contenders at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15.Ellsworth will play at home against Washington Academy (2-2) at 4 p.m. Wednesday. The team will then take on MDI at 6 p.m. Monday, Sept. 17, in Bar Harbor. Bio Mike MandellMike Mandell is the sports editor at The Ellsworth American and Mount Desert Islander. He began working for The American in August 2016. You can reach him via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Latest posts by Mike Mandell (see all) MPA approves golf, XC, field hockey, soccer; football, volleyball moved to spring – September 10, 2020 Ellsworth runners compete in virtual Boston Marathon – September 16, 2020 Latest Posts Hospice volunteers help families navigate grief and find hope – September 12, 2020
(ESPNCricinfo) – Middle-order batsman Babar Azam and left-arm spinner Mohammad Nawaz earned maiden Test call-ups, for the first Test against West Indies in the UAE. Azam’s selection came right after he scored three consecutive centuries in Pakistan’s 3-0 ODI whitewash over West Indies.Iftikhar Ahmed, Mohammad Rizwan, Mohammad Hafeez and Shan Masood were the players left out of the team that went to England this summer, as Pakistan named a 14-man squad for the Dubai Test,starting October 13. Younis Khan had already been ruled out of Pakistan’s maiden day-night Test, because he was recovering from dengue.The squad consisted of only five specialist batsmen in Azhar Ali, Sami Aslam, Azam, Misbah-ul-Haq and Asad Shafiq, meaning Pakistan are likely to play Sarfraz Ahmed at No. 6, and allrounder Nawaz at No. 7;or go in with five specialist bowlers.Chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq acknowledged that Pakistan have been struggling to find quality allrounders and hoped Nawaz could be the answer. “We have been searching for one who can bat in the lower order and bowl as well. And if you look at Nawaz, he has got a good first-class record. It shows he has been promising with the bat and has competed as a bowler.”Nawaz has 1440 runs and 44 wickets, including three centuries and a seven-wicket haul,in 29 first-class matches.Azam, 21, was picked in the squad after a prolific run in one-day cricket for Pakistan this year, scoring 656 runs in 11 innings at an average of 59 and a strike rate of 95. He made his ODI debut in the home series against Zimbabwe in May 2015, and has 886 runs in 18 matches. Azam averages 41.13 in first-class cricket, having scored 1522 runs in 41 innings for five different teams.Hafeez played three Tests on the tour of England, making 102 runs in six innings, before he was dropped for the last match at The Oval, which Pakistan won to draw the series 2-2. He played the one-off ODI against Ireland and the first ODI against England before he suffered a leg injury and returned home. After recovering,Hafeez was asked by the selectors to play in the Quaid-e-Azam trophy, Pakistan’s first-class competition, and he made 68 in both innings of his first game for Sui Northern Gas Pipelines.Inzamam said that this was because they didn’t want the players sitting on the bench for too long. “Those who are good but weren’t able to perform in England, we made them play in first-class cricket. We didn’t want them to waste their time on the bench but rather they play some cricket and get themselves back into form.”Hafeez earned a spot in the PCB Patron’s XI against the West Indians in Sharjah, but he made a duck in the first innings and was left out of the Test squad.
On Thursday, the Trojans (21-6, 8-6) finish a brutal stretch of three games against top-six opponents at No. 4 Arizona (25-3, 14-1). The Trojans lost the first two games against Oregon and UCLA by a combined total of 43 points.“The losses are growing pains,” sophomore Shaqquan Aaron said. “We can watch film and learn from our mistakes and get better.”His team has struggled mightily from the field recently, but his confidence in the team does not wane. Aaron believes that his team will peak in the postseason. The Trojans, one of the streakiest teams in the Pac-12, have had no hot shooters of late.Against Oregon and UCLA, the team shot 33 percent from the floor and under 30 percent from 3-point range.With so many sharpshooters on the roster — Aaron, junior Elijah Stewart, sophomore Bennie Boatwright, junior Jordan McLaughlin and freshman Jonah Mathews — plus sophomore Chimezie Metu down low, it is difficult to imagine that no one has made the big shots in the last two games. Based on their play this season, it appears the team feasts and famines together.“We got to keep pushing,” freshman Jonah Mathews said on the season nearing an end. “Keep on grinding.”In their first matchup with Arizona, USC fell behind by 20 points before Stewart got red hot in the second half only for the team to fall short of a comeback. To win at Arizona, more than one of them — perhaps all of the playmakers — will have to ditch their woes and start making shots. That will be easier said than done, though, against one of the stingiest defenses in basketball. The Wildcats allow a paltry 63.5 points per game.Since losing to Oregon on the road in early February, the Wildcats have won four straight games, but three were by single digits. Seldom do they lose at the McKale Center. Dating back to last season, they have won 20 consecutive contests at home and seven straight versus the Trojans.“We’re 10-3 on the road this year,” head coach Andy Enfield said. “That’s pretty good. Last year the top four [Pac-12] teams went 94-6 at home. We were one of those teams.”Although the Wildcats rank eighth in the Pac-12 in points per game, they have five players averaging double-digits plus a sixth at 9.5 points per game. Freshman forward Lauri Markkanen remains the centerpiece of head coach Sean Miller’s strategy. The seven-footer causes mismatches for every opponent that he is matched up against.A contender for Pac-12 Player of the Year, Markkanen averages 15.7 points and 7.5 rebounds. He shoots 45.7 percent from three and 83.9 percent from the free throw line. At the Galen Center, he dropped 23 points, picked up eight rebounds and made five 3-point shots in Arizona’s 73-66 win.The Trojans will look to shut down Markkanen while battling against the Wildcats’ rigorous defense to chip out their place in the Pac-12 before the conference tournament begins.
…admits party lost touch with “common issues”After facing heavy criticism for its submissive position towards the A Partnership for National Unity (APNU), the Alliance For Change (AFC) said that it remained a strong member of the coalition Government and would continue to work to ensure that its views were taken on board.AFC Leader Raphael TrotmanTrotman also defended the poor performance of AFC Ministers within the coalition Government, asserting that while the party was “not perfect”, it has utilised its 12 seats in Parliament to make a significant impact and continues to do so on a daily basis.“I just mentioned an array of Ministries that the AFC has been blessed with having oversight of…Public Telecommunications – I am in awe at what the Minister (Cathy Hughes) has done. I’m in awe of the work (Agriculture Minister Noel) Holder has done against the odds at GuySuCo (Guyana Sugar Corporation) and with rice…Ministry of Business is doing things, (Public Infrastructure) Minister (David) Patterson I mean nobody could say that he has not performed,” he told the media.However, despite this praise, the performance of most of the AFC Ministers has been generally poor according to critics and independent analysts.Under David Patterson’s leadership, the Public Infrastructure Ministry has seen a slow implementation rate of its projects with the expenditure of millions of dollars without key checks and balances being followed, especially in relation to the questionable D’Urban Park Project.While one of the largest prison riots and fires occurred under Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan’s watch, along with other major scandals. And as stated by the parliamentary opposition most recently, while there has been a decline in some serious crimes, overall crime continues to rise.Critics have also highlighted that Business Minister Dominic Gaskin has not managed to attract any sizeable Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) into Guyana since assuming the post. While his Ministry has been pushing for the creation of cottage industries, there have been no business projects launched under the current Government that would help to create employment opportunities.Further, as it relates to Holder, the current Agriculture Minister, several critics have called for his resignation in light of his handling of the downsizing of the sugar industry. Holder was the first to announce plans by the coalition Government to close down sugar estates and fire sugar workers.In Holder’s defence, Trotman said, “We are not saying that we are perfect. We are far from being perfect. But we could say with what we have been given, we have done much. And, of course, there is room for improvement and we will work towards improving ourselves.”Aside from that, the AFC leader admitted that his party has lost touch with the common issues, becoming too involved in governmental matters and hence a little side-tracked from their duties.“In terms of self-analysis, or maybe some self-criticism, we’ve become bogged down with governmental matters and fighting to just get our agendas through…and we have lost touch a bit with the common issues, but no one could say that we haven’t pushed the IT agenda, telecommunications agenda, or business agenda or resources or infrastructure or agriculture or Indigenous affairs,” Trotman said.The fact that the AFC has not been able to successfully push for constitutional reform, a platform on which the party campaigned, some pundits believe, has seriously damaged its credibility and influence within the coalition. Critics said also that the party’s lack of understanding of its support base would ultimately be its downfall and the only way to maintain its credibility would be to resign.