Category: nrhjfbfp

Shumlin, Vermont Troopers announce contract agreement

first_imgGovernor Peter Shumlin and Vermont Troopers’ Association (VTA) President Michael O’Neil announced today that the Administration and the VTA have reached an agreement on a new labor contract, subject to ratification by the VTA membership.  The new contract is designed to address problems in recruitment and retention that were highlighted by a study conducted by the parties last year.  That study concluded the starting pay and pay scale for Troopers were no longer competitive with other law enforcement agencies in Vermont or other states in the Northeast.  ‘These positions are critical for the safety of all Vermonters, and we need to be able to recruit the best and the brightest and make sure we retain them,’ Shumlin said. ‘This new Pay Plan should do just that.’  O’Neil agreed, adding, ‘I am happy that the parties were able to address a problem critical to the long term safety and security of Vermonters.’   The Pay Plan takes effect in the second year of a two year contract.  In the first year of the contract, there are no across-the-board salary increases, and step increases remain frozen.  The physical fitness incentive program and compensation for work-related duties integral to the job that are performed during off duty hours, which had been given up in the previous contract, have been reinstated in the first year.  In the second year of the contract, in addition to the implementation of the new Pay Plan, step increases will resume and holiday benefits given up in the previous contract will be reinstated, with the lone exception of Columbus Day.  The troopers also recently accepted an increase in their pension contribution to be deducted from their paychecks of 1.3 percent to help the solvency of their pension fund and reduce the amount contributed by the state.Source: Governor’s office. 5.5.2011last_img read more

Start reading Shumlin, Vermont Troopers announce contract agreement

Chile: Plan to Combat Drug Trafficking on Border with Peru and Bolivia

first_img The Chilean Government has presented a plan to combat drug trafficking in the country’s north, along its borders with Peru and Bolivia, at a cost of around $66 million between now and 2014. The program, called North Border, seeks to reinforce the sea and land borders of the Chilean regions of Arica and Parinacota, Tarapaca, and Antofagasta, Interior and Public Safety Minister Rodrigo Hinzpeter said. Its chief objective “is to prevent drugs and contraband from entering or leaving the country by way of ports, unauthorized coastal sectors, border crossings, or unauthorized crossing points,” Hinzpeter explained. Chile is becoming “a nexus between the producers of drugs and their final destination,” the minister added, specifying that so far this year, more than seven tons of cocaine have been found at European ports on ships coming from Chile. The plan entails an investment of around $66 million between 2011 and 2014 and calls for the implementation of technologies such as high-resolution thermal-imaging cameras and special surveillance antennas, as well as building up border-crossing facilities, tracking vehicles, and other technical elements. The maritime border, meanwhile, will be reinforced with fixed land radars and coastal watch systems. Chile’s northern land border stretches across a distance of 1,300 km. According to the Government, around 30 unauthorized crossing points have been detected along the border with Peru and 106 along the border with Bolivia. By Dialogo October 11, 2011last_img read more

Start reading Chile: Plan to Combat Drug Trafficking on Border with Peru and Bolivia

Helping credit unions celebrate financial capability, youth & more in April

first_img 7SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr April marks an important month for credit unions as we all celebrate National Credit Union Youth Month and National Financial Capability Month. This provides a great opportunity for organizations to showcase the credit union difference by going above and beyond to provide financial education to staff, members, and communities.Your Foundation is here to help you celebrate this month with a few articles full of ideas by Executive Director Gigi Hyland. The first article was featured on CUInsight and explains “Why Every Month Should be Financial Capability Month“.According to the first-ever S&P Global FinLit Survey, a detailed and comprehensive analysis of worldwide financial literacy, 57% of adults are financially literate. That means that 43% of American people – our credit union members- are not financially capable. Helping our members to become financially capable citizens is part of our role as credit unions, and this article provides ideas to help such as the Enhanced FiCEP program, and free toolkits from the Foundation. Click here to read the full article. continue reading »last_img read more

Start reading Helping credit unions celebrate financial capability, youth & more in April

Identify and eliminate self-limiting beliefs

first_img continue reading » Viewing your life circumstances as a collection of opportunities and obstacles, rather than concrete limitations, is critical to recognizing your capabilities and finding happiness. So says Phil Hansen, an artist who has continued to blossom after overcoming a potentially career-ending tremor in his dominant hand.“The key to changing the way we think about limitations lies in making the distinction between what qualifies as a limitation, and what is a self-limiting belief,” says Hansen, who delivered his “Embrace the Shake” message at the CUNA Lending Council Conference.Making that distinction is important at both the individual and organizational level, says Hansen, as credit unions often face competitive disadvantages they must address to survive and thrive.A limitation, Hansen says, is something that’s been put in our way. A self-limiting belief is something that we put in our own way, that blocks all paths and doesn’t allow for possibilities. 16SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

Start reading Identify and eliminate self-limiting beliefs

Owego Mayor goes pink to support the American Cancer Society

first_img“It’s just so important to support everybody in the community. A lot of people are affected by it. Especially to raise awareness this year because we have a pandemic going on. But everyone still gets sick. Things are still going on, as far as people getting cancer.” Owego Mayor Mike Baratta challenged Owego residents to raise $1,000 for the American Cancer Society. He said if the village raised that amount to give, he would dye his hair pink in support of the cause. OWEGO (WBNG) — The Village of Owego went Pink today in support of the American Cancer Society, including the Mayor! Mayor Baratta said he did it to also show his support for the ‘Real Men Wear Pink’ cause, saying now more than ever it is important to support those in need. The village responded and raised more than 1,600, so Mayor Baratta dyed his hair bright pink on Friday.last_img read more

Start reading Owego Mayor goes pink to support the American Cancer Society

Ewan rockets to Tour de France bunch sprint victory

first_imgAfter a rampaging climax to Sunday’s race provided by Alaphilippe, this stage was a more leisurely run through a national park located between the Mediterranean and the foot of the Alps, winding through oak and pine-forested hills.With around a third of the peloton nursing grazes and bumps from that bruising first stage, and with Sunday’s speedy stage in their legs, the teams took it slowly before the Tour was treated to its first real sprint.”Today was one of the few real sprint opportunities, so we weren’t going to give that up,” Ewan said after stepping from the podium.Superstar sprinter Peter Sagan was again in the mix and gleaned enough points from his fifth position to take the green jersey he has won a record seven times. Ewan, known as the ‘Pocket Rocket’ and standing 1.65 meters, bided his time and overtook Bennett right on the line.The timely win gave Lotto a double boost after the team was reduced from eight to six riders on stage one when Philippe Gilbert broke a knee while John Degenkolb was thrown off the race for missing the time cut after a nasty fall.”It worked perfectly to plan, I had to move just at the right moment. It was disappointing to lose two riders on day one, but everyone has pulled together and we’ve done quite well,” Ewan said.”The world is watching and everyone would like to be here at this, it’s the biggest race in the world and I’m delighted.” Sweet moments for Alaphilippe Despite the Covid-19 resurgence in France, the roadsides in this pastoral part of France were packed with fans on Tuesday.Schoolchildren were out in force chasing the sweets and goodies thrown from the publicity caravan, which is about 70 percent smaller this year, and many were cheering home hero Alaphilippe.”Winning yesterday really relaxed me,” said Alaphilippe. “It’s a great honor to wear the jersey and I’ll be defending it day by day.”Tuesday’s stage features a summit finish and a tricky hill-laden route from Sisteron to Orcieres where Alaphilippe faces a real fight from British rider Adam Yates for the overall lead. Just four seconds separate the two.”I know it’ll be interesting with Adam Yates tomorrow,” said Alaphilippe, who now surpasses former winner Geraint Thomas in days wearing the yellow jersey.”It’s a difficult stage, I hear. I haven’t really studied it yet, but we’ll keep an eye on him [Yates],” Alaphilippe added.Yates, who has signed a deal to switch to Ineos, came fourth in the 2016 Tour de France where he also won the white jersey for the best under-25 rider.Frenchman Anthony Lopez broke a shoulder in a collision with a Cofidis team car that is being investigated, but amazingly, given how many falls there have been each day, he was just the fourth of the original field of 176 to leave the Tour so far. Australian rider Caleb Ewan produced an irresistible late burst of speed to pip a stunned Sam Bennett of Ireland on the finish line of stage three of the Tour de France on Monday.France’s Julian Alaphilippe retained the leader’s yellow jersey after the 198-kilometre stage from the Nice football stadium to the hilltop town of Sisteron in Provence.Ewan, 26, won three stages on the 2019 Tour but started this edition on his backside after a fall on the crash-strewn opening stage. Topics :last_img read more

Start reading Ewan rockets to Tour de France bunch sprint victory

Dutch government to press ahead with plans for pensions reform

first_imgWouter Koolmees, the Netherlands’ social affairs minister“Current financial problems of pension funds are not to be solved through a different pensions contract,” he said.“However, a new pensions contract can provide clarity in order to reduce the gap between participants’ expectations and results, and about how to deal with investment windfalls and economic headwinds.”Life-cycle investmentsThe minister indicated that the government wanted to come up with legislation instructing pension funds to introduce life-cycle investments, with risk profiles matching the specific needs of younger and older participants, rather than the usual uniform collective investment mix.Koolmees also announced legislation for the transition from the current average pension accrual to an degressive one, indicating that the social partners were to decide on the compensation for affected older workers.Costs are expected to range between €25bn and €100bn, depending on the degree of compensation.Citing earlier studies, the minister suggested that the transition could be financed through a temporary increase of contributions, the use of financial buffers or a transition to a defined contribution (DC) plan without financial reserves.State pensionKoolmees said he would also assess whether the scheduled increase of the retirement age for the state pension (AOW) could be slowed down as the social partners had insisted. However, he reiterated that he wouldn’t address possible benefit cuts, arguing that “pensions results strongly relied on the reality of financial developments” and that measures had to be part of an overall approach. Dutch parliament buildings in the Hague, the NetherlandsThe government had already decided to raise the pensionable age to 67 in 2021, with a subsequent one-year increase for every year of additional life expectancy.In his letter, Koolmees also announced that the cabinet would look into the option of taking out a lump sum of no more than 10% of accrued rights at retirement for paying off a mortgage. The government would also investigate how transparency around accrued pension rights could be harmonised across the range of different pension contracts.The minister also made clear that the cabinet – contrary to the position of the social partners – did not support mandatory pensions accrual by self-employed workers (known as zzp’ers), but it would investigate how they could voluntarily join a pension fund.Although a large majority of zzp’ers did not save for an additional pension, they usually accrued a pension in other ways, for example through their company or paying off their mortgage, he said.center_img The Dutch government is to push on with pension reform despite trade unions and employers failing to reach an agreement on occupational pension rules in November.Social affairs minister Wouter Koolmees said the government would press ahead with its earlier plan to facilitate the transition to a system with individual pensions accrual.The social partners had preferred collective pensions accrual – albeit without nominal guarantees – combined with a degree of risk-sharing between generations.The minister said that the government would be open to consultations with the social partners, pension providers and supervisors, as well as to the views of organisations representing youth and elderly.last_img read more

Start reading Dutch government to press ahead with plans for pensions reform

Tunisia set to reopen museum after attack

first_imgTunisia’s Bardo Museum to reopen after deadly attackTunisia is set to reopen the Bardo Museum to the public with a grand ceremony on Tuesday less than a week after gunmen killed at least 20 people including tourists.The move comes as the government continued a crack down on suspected militants and beefing up security.Many members of the public have welcomed President Essebsi’s move to fire top Tunis security chiefs following last week’s jihadist attack, in which 20 people lost their lives.A concert and a public rally are expected, with museum officials saying they want to show the world that the gunmen “haven’t achieved their goal”.On Monday, Tunisia’s prime minister dismissed six police chiefs.Two of the gunmen were killed by the security forces during last Wednesday’s attack, while a third is on the run, officials said.The attack was the deadliest in Tunisia since the uprising which led to the overthrow of long-serving ruler Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali in 2011.Suspects have been arrested over the attack but just two gunmen were thought to have raided the museum.They are said to have been trained in Libya in an area controlled by Islamic State (IS) militants.last_img read more

Start reading Tunisia set to reopen museum after attack

Feeder Dam Trail Phase I grand opening tickets available

first_imgMetamora, IN—Tickets are available at the Franklin County Welcome Center for the Feeder Dam Trail- Phase I Grand Opening. The event will be held Sunday, October 13 from 3 pm until dark. Tickets include wood-fired pizza from Third Place tavern, cold beverages, a cash bar, trail tours, and a ribbon-cutting at 5:00 pm. There will be a guided trail tour to lock #26 at 3:30 pm and a 2nd tour right after the ribbon-cutting. The tour is roughly 2 miles of easy walking and will take about an hour. The trail that opens at this event is Phase 1 of the Feeder Dam Trail. Phase i is about halfway to the feeder dam. There are 2 canal locks along the way.last_img

Start reading Feeder Dam Trail Phase I grand opening tickets available

Suarez plays down speculation

first_imgLiverpool striker Luis Suarez insists “nothing is going to happen” to him in regards to his future at the club as he focuses on making a dream come true by winning the title. “Now we have to win the next two games and it is not going to be easy.” Suarez, who in December 2011 was banned for eight matches after being found guilty of racially abusing Patrice Evra, was pictured with team-mate Philippe Coutinho earlier in the week showing his support for Dani Alves after the Barcelona defender had a banana thrown at him during the match at Villarreal. “The picture with Coutinho was because I didn’t like what happened,” he added. “So we had to do something with Phil. I felt I had to do something for my friends.” While Liverpool will watch events at Goodison Park with keen interest this weekend, they have to wait until Monday to play their penultimate match at Crystal Palace as they remain in the hunt for a first title since 1990. The club have taken the step of issuing a specific warning to travelling fans about counterfeit tickets. “Liverpool Football Club has been contacted by a number of fans voicing concerns over supporters who intend to travel to Selhurst Park for Monday night’s sell-out fixture against Crystal Palace without tickets,” said a statement. “The club is reminding its supporters to be aware of counterfeit tickets and to only travel to Selhurst Park if they have an official ticket. “The club is working closely with Crystal Palace to ensure that fans with official tickets can access the stadium, with extra LFC stewards on hand to assist with security at Selhurst Park. “Merseyside Police will also be supporting the Metropolitan Police with any illegal ticketing issues around the stadium prior to kick-off. “All tickets purchased are the responsibility of the supporter whose name is on the ticket. “Any breach of regulations may be subject to further investigation that could ultimately result in the club pursuing a ban for each person involved for future LFC games.” Press Association When Suarez was asked in an interview with Uruguay television station Canal 10 whether they should be contacting him in England or Spain next season he replied: “I’m very happy here and my family is happy here. “Don’t worry nothing is going to happen to me. If we could win the Premier League and bring the trophy home it would be incredible, a dream come true.” That dream may rest with this weekend’s visit of Manchester City to Liverpool’s near-neighbours Everton. Should Manuel Pellegrini’s side drop points then the Reds’ destiny would be back in their hands, having let it slip with a 2-0 defeat at home to Chelsea last Sunday. “I’m still upset, it was so frustrating, we couldn’t find spaces and we made a mistake and it was hard to deal with,” said Suarez of the defeat. “We knew the game was going to be hard and tight but it was frustrating when they were using up time. “I was upset because of our mistake; we all got nervous and lost control. It was impossible to find spaces to get in. “We are hoping Man City loses some points but in the Premier League you never know, anything is possible. The newly-crowned Professional Footballers’ Association’s player of the year has scored 30 league goals this season and that has only enhanced his reputation as one of the world’s best players. Despite only signing a new lucrative contract at Anfield in December the 27-year-old is still being linked with the likes of Real Madrid. last_img read more

Start reading Suarez plays down speculation